Monday, November 28, 2011

Motivation

It seems that everything in my life has been leading up to this moment.

When I was a little girl, my best friend and I had a play business called "Jitters." We had everything; an inventory list, prices, a real receipt machine, the works, we were very into it. That was just the beginning.

Last summer I attended the State University's Ag Business Camp for teens. I know what you are thinking, Ag Business? Well, it was business none the less. I learned so much, it was the first year of this camp and there were only a few kids. We got to do so much; we created a product, we researched marketing strategies, and even made our own commercial. I made some really great friends who had their own businesses back home. They had started really young and they were still in college, they really inspired me.

At that point I knew that "someday," meaning when I grow up, that I would like to own my own business. However, when my mom took me to a "Where Women Create" workshop in Minneapolis in September, that "someday" metality completely changed. I met people who created for a living and that really started turning gears in my head. Those women were amazing and now that I look back a few months later, without those women I would have never had the courage at this age to pursue this little business.

The day I got home from Minneapolis I signed up for Blogger and I began posting pictures. I had 7 views in the week, yes that was my mom, grandma, aunt, and my bestie.

When I got an invitation to the Craft Fair on Facebook, I thought to myself, "Why not" sign up? You have to start somewhere, is what I kept telling myself. I worked really hard. I had a few days off of school a week before the show and I sat in my basement painting, twirling fabric, burning my fingers with my hot glue gun and applying my personal sparkle!

I sent out postcards and started posting Sneak Peeks! It was s much fun. Once I starting posting stuff, my facebook blew up and my Blogger stats went up like a rocket! It was awesome!

Everything in my life has lead up to this moment.

9:00 first customer arrives and I am busy the whole day. I have a good amount of custom orders and people loved what they saw. I feel so empowered and I felt all that hard work pay off. Even if that is the only Craft Show that I ever do, or those custom orders are all that I ever fill, that one day showed me that I can do anything that I set my mind to, and I can do what I love. That day taught me so much about preparation, salesmanship, and presentation.

This feeling is amazing, I hope at one time in your life you feel it too. Find your one thing that makes you happy and do it, you will never regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment